Sunday, July 03, 2005

A Century of Trust

I had been to the Tata exhibition at the Chennai Trade Centre. It was aptly named "A Century of Trust". The exhibition showcased the growth of the Tata Group and the achievements of the Tata family. The exhibition was truly inspirational! Everyone in the family is a visionary. It must be running in their genes.

There was so much information that I dont remember most of it. I never knew IISc Bangalore was the brainchild of Jamsetji Nusserwanji Tata (he founded the Tata empire).

Bharath was hoping to see lots of information about his dream company TCS. But they had only one 4'X8' poster about TCS. He was totally disappointed at this and said "This is too bad. TCS makes so much profit, most of which is pumped into other sick Tata units and all they get is a poster?". Sriram and I laughed.

They had interactive touch screen panels and large plasma screens installed. We read through the brief history of India from 1600AD to present day. Sriram and I discussed a lot from "Freedom at Midnight"(Dominique LaPierre and Larry Collins) about the Partition

Nothing in the world is perfect. So was the exhibition, not the content nor the presentation but the volunteers. They were "volunteering" to make the experience a bit sick. There was a girl who was talking to her friend like a cheri (slum) girl. One of them went on to explain the birth and life of JN Tata with a mock american accent. She was pathetic, then we decided not to ask the volunteers anything even if they "volunteered". We even remarked about the volunteers in the guest book as we left.

But finally it was time worth spent. We left the Trade Center and fed our hungry stomachs in Sri Krishna Bhavan. We talked about Bharath's pseudo mallu image and how pathetic he was with it. And I mbarked on a long journey from Kathipara to Korattur.

And when I reached home I was too tired even to watch TV, but I still gave a complete narration to my amma. She said "Ok, I accept you are totally impressed, but leave something for us to see." I got the hint and hit the bed. And even before I could recollect the days events, the sandman put me to sleep.

No comments:





.